Saturday, June 1, 2013

Music Brings Joy to my Soul!!


After silence that which nearest to expressing the
in expressible is music
Ludwig Van Beethoven



Today as I was driving home from my piano lesson I thought about how grateful I am that I have the ability to play the piano.  I have an awesome piano teacher, Petrina, who has taught me so much and who encourages me all the way.  I appreciate all types of music but I especially love playing classical music.  Composers like Bach, Beethoven, Chopin - what talent. They were given these talents and because of their music the world is a better place.  Even if you don't like classical music you cannot deny their talent.  I appreciate that they shared their talents by writing beautiful music.

Music really does bring Joy to my soul.  It is as Beethoven says it is a way of expressing the inexpressible.

Music has the power to make us feel things that we can sometimes feel in no other way.  It makes us laugh, it makes us cry, it makes us feel joy.

Ludwig Van Beethoven also said:
Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy
Music is the electrical soil
in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents

As a child I loved to sit and listen to my great grandmother play her piano.  One of the things that I so loved was that she would let us have 5 minutes on the timer to sit and play at her piano - (I figure it was because we played so badly that that was as much as she could stand listening to). It was such a treat and I am glad that she was prepared to put up with the bad playing.  I wish that she was here now so that I could share my love of playing the piano with her.  It is over forty years but in my mind I can still hear her playing.

Eva Cooper my Great Grandmother
is in the middle of the back row
I am so grateful for a wonderful piano teacher, Mrs Coyne.  My first piano teacher who taught me for nothing and who fostered my ability and encouraged me.  Yes I am eternally grateful for her selflessness and kindness to me when I was young.

This morning I had a fantastic lesson and as I drove home I felt happy and an overwhelming sense that music really is something brings joy to my soul.  And I think that Billy Joel said it really well when he wrote:

I think music in itself is healing.
It's an explosive expression of humanity.
It's something we are all touched by.
No matter what culture we're from,
everyone loves music.




No comments:

Post a Comment