Monday, January 2, 2012

An Amazing Antarctic Adventure.........

On 2nd December, 1911, Douglas Mawson set sail from Hobart bound for the Antarctic. At midnight on 1st December, 2011, Terry and I set sail bound for the Commonwealth Bay at the Antarctic Continent on a very different vessel and so began our Amazing Antarctic Adventure. First let me show you around the ship.


MV ORION
Length: 103 metres
Gross Tonnage: 4,000
Hull: Ice-reinforced for voyages in the Arctic and Antarctic
Built: 2003
Builder: Cassens Shipyard-Emden, Germany
Staterooms and Suites: 53
Guest Capacity: 106 (twin occupancy)
Crew: 75


Our cabin was 504 - A French Balcony Suite on Level 5


Our cabin was awesome. Your bed was made every morning and at night with it being turned down and a Lindt choccie where the top of the doona was folded down. I was wondering how I could bring those Housekeeping Guys home but I just couldn't work out a way. Pity about that really.


This is the view from our balcony the next day - where we're going.


.........and where we've come from.



When seasickness takes control this is a really good sign to put on your door while you recover from that really yucky feeling. It wasn't too bad but I did throw up only once, on the 2nd night.






The Leda Lounge - A great place for our briefings in the afternoon about what happened that day and what we would be doing the next day. We played trivia and at night Kathy and Terry entertained us. They were awesome and we loved listening to their music.


The Library


I can't say enough about the food and service on the cruise. It was absolutely amazing. Breakfast and Lunch were buffet meals and the evening meal was a choice from a selection of entree, main and desert. Morning and afternoon tea was served in the Leda Lounge but we just couldn't eat all that food so we usually gave them a miss.


We had a few birthday and anniversary celebrations on the cruise and these guys were always on hand to sing "Happy Birthday to You" or "Let Me Tell You Sweetheart, I'm in Love With You" depending on the occasion. There was always a cake on hand to help the person/people celebrate.


Only used the gymn once - it's a bit hard to run on the treadmill when the boat is rocking from side to side.


There was a glass lift and beautiful mural on the wall of the Stairwell



The MV Orion truly is a beautiful vessel. The crew who took care of all our needs were amazing and we met some great people along the way. I look forward to sharing many more pictures and experiences from our Amazing Antractic Adventure with you on my blog.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This ship looks amazing. Can't wait to see your next instalment Vicki!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo...now I finally get to hear about the trip! :D Though the video you showed us was cool...for a start! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Vicki. I always thought I would love to sail around the world, alas I get soooooo seasick, or should I say river sick.
    Look forward to more photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm sucked in ... just by looking at the ship. Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete